playing Blu-Ray discs

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 16:11:00 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> You need to remove the DRM with tools like Slysoft's AnyDVD-HD,
>>> which, unfortunately, runs only under Windows. You may want to try
>>> it under Wine, but I don't know whether it's been successfully done or
>>> not.

>>> --
>>> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/
>>>

>> Thanks for the info. I notice the sysutils/udfclient can read the disk
>> structure. I've forked and updated https://github.com/williamdevries/UDF
>> for 11.0-Current, will see if that gets me anywhere.
>>
>> --
>> Waitman Gobble
>> Los Altos California USA
>> 510-830-7975
>>

> The updated UDF kernel source seems to work with 11.0-Current. Moves me a
> little forward :)
>
> #1 using existing UDF driver:
>
> [1019] > mount_udf /dev/cd0 /br
> mount_udf: /dev/cd0: Invalid argument
>
> #2 using 'new' UDF driver:
>
> [1020] > mount_udf2 /dev/cd0 /br
> [1021] > cd /br
> [1022] > ls
> AACS            BDMV            CERTIFICATE
> [1023] >
>
> I'll post the code if anyone else wants to tinker with it.
>
> Now to see about actually playing the disc...
>
> --
> Waitman Gobble
> Los Altos California USA
> 510-830-7975

Updated src patches are available at https://github.com/waitman/UDF

Curiously on the xfce4 desktop I now get a little icon of a disc that is
'named' the title of the Blu-Ray. So that's something new.

I notice one caveat, 'mplayer bd://' without any other switches assumes
that your disc is mounted at /mnt/bd and that your KEYDB.cfg is in
~/.dvdcss/

Also it's possible to run the Linux 32 bit ./aacskeys /mnt/bd
(with the Linux compatibility port installed)

I think it may work if I buy a Blu-Ray disc that is 'popular'. ie, the keys
are published. I only have a few and they are 'niche' disks that are
probably not mainstream. (for example 'the stone roses, made of stone').
Maybe I'll buy a copy of 'the matrix' or something and see if that will
play. :)

Also it seems there are existing tools that 'figure' out the keys, maybe
I'll try that when I get a chance, but if a 'popular' disc actually plays.

--
Waitman Gobble
Los Altos California USA