upgrading 9.3 / ZFS v28

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Mon Nov 17 15:33:15 UTC 2014

On 11/17/14, 4:39 AM, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Sun 2014-11-16 20:33:41 UTC-0800, David Newman (dnewman at networktest.com) wrote:
>
>> Greetings. For a system running 9.3-RELEASE with ZFS v28 on the root
>> partition (I did this manually long ago), are there any gotchas for
>> upgrading to 10.1?
>>
>> I've done many other 9->10 upgrades using freebsd-update and they went
>> OK, but those systems all had UFS filesystems.
>>
>> Are any special steps needed here?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I performed the same upgrade with freebsd-update on the weekend
> without any problems.

Hmmm...this could have gone better for me:

To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update install".
root at boonen:~ # freebsd-update install
Installing updates...chflags: ///var/empty: Read-only file system

Normally, freebsd-update returns a reboot-and-proceed message at this
point. Also, this system has no /var/empty partition.

How to proceed?

Thanks!

dn