Problem building sysutils/syslog-ng v3.6.1_1

steve freebsd-questions at spectrumcs.net
Tue Nov 11 20:37:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure I'm posting this to the correct mailing list. Forgive me if I have, and I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

If I have posted to the correct location, here is my problem...

#uname -a
FreeBSD XYZ 9.2-RELEASE-p12 FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p12 #0: Mon Sep 15 18:46:46 UTC 2014     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

# /usr/sbin/pkg version -vIL=
syslog-ng-3.5.6_4 < needs updating (index has 3.6.1_1)

I have three servers which where installed with FreeBSD 9.0 back in Feb 2014. As a matter of course I keep these servers as up to date as possible though the ports tree. I also periodocally upgrade them to latest stable version of FreeBSD via freebsd-update. Obviously I've let that slip a bit!

Towards the end of October a update for syslog-ng appeared in the ports tree, but I've been unable to compile it on any of my three servers, via a portmaster -DaG or a cd /usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/ && make install clean. It fails with undefined reference to `get_installation_path_for'.

---------------------------------------
  CC       lib/tests/lib_tests_test_host_resolve-test_host_resolve.o
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c: In function 'test_resolve_sockaddr_to_hostname':
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:238: warning: implicit declaration of function 'basename'
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:238: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:239: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:240: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:241: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c: In function 'test_resolve_hostname_to_sockaddr':
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:264: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:265: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c: In function 'test_resolve_hostname_to_hostname':
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:300: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:301: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
lib/tests/test_host_resolve.c:302: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
  CCLD     lib/tests/test_host_resolve
  CC       syslog-ng/main.o
  GEN      syslog-ng/syslog-ng
syslog-ng/main.o: In function `get_installer_version':
/usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/work/syslog-ng-3.6.1/syslog-ng/main.c:98: undefined reference to `get_installation_path_for'
syslog-ng/main.o: In function `main':
/usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/work/syslog-ng-3.6.1/syslog-ng/main.c:198: undefined reference to `main_loop_global_init'
/usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/work/syslog-ng-3.6.1/syslog-ng/main.c:248: undefined reference to `main_loop_read_and_init_config'
/usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/work/syslog-ng-3.6.1/syslog-ng/main.c:271: undefined reference to `main_loop_deinit'
Makefile:5911: recipe for target 'syslog-ng/syslog-ng' failed
gmake[2]: *** [syslog-ng/syslog-ng] Error 1
Makefile:9846: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** [do-build] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng.
*** [stage] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng.
Exit 1
---------------------------------------

Googling for get_installation_path_for has found nothing.

Grepping for get_installation_path_for in the work dir seems to indicate that that function is defined in ./work/syslog-ng-3.6.1/lib/reloc.c

As a test I've tried to compile this port on two other FreeBSD boxes. One a FreeBSD 10 and then a FreeBSD 9.2 (in VM) and both complete successfully, however neither of these boxes had had syslog-ng installed or compiled on them before.

To be sure my ports tree wasn't broken somehow I deleted /usr/ports/ and preformed a "portsnap fetch extract"

This feels like a upgrade problem to me, but I'm unsure what to do next to try and get this port to compile.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Stephen Scotter

DISCLAIMER
This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author’s prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message.
We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.
If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.