shrinking of FreeBSD root partition on GPT

Coert lgroups at vlymskerp.net
Sat Nov 8 10:58:32 UTC 2014

Hello all!

Just installed FreeBSD on my home server, (used to be linux)

When I did the installation, I used the installer defaults, and it gave me the
following:
gpart show ada0
=>       34  488397101  ada0  GPT  (233G)
         34        128     1  freebsd-boot  (64K)
        162  480247680     2  freebsd-ufs  (229G)
  480247842    8149292     3  freebsd-swap  (3.9G)
  488397134          1        - free -  (512B)

I would like to shrink my root partition, (GPT partition 2).
After reading through the handbook, I can adapt to shrinking instead of
growing,

What I am going to try is:
1. Boot from LiveCD
2. do a dump -0 of the current root partition
3. delete the root GPT partition, and create a new smaller GPT partition.
4.do a newfs on the new slice, and restore the dump.

Do I need to restore any bootcode after this? I read about bsdlabel, but that
seems to be only for MBR scheme?

Will this work? or did i miss a step?

When that is done, I will create a freebsd-zfs partition in the freed space on
the disk. (Will rather still keep freebsd root on UFS)

Kind regards,
Coert