freebsd-update and a custom kernel

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 8 09:53:51 UTC 2014

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 12:03:17 +0600, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> Is it normal that freebsd-update is going to update my custom kernel?
> Should it not leave it alone?
>
> The following files will be updated as part of updating to 9.3-RELEASE-p5:
> /boot/kernel/kernel
> /boot/kernel/zfs.ko
> /usr/bin/ftp
> /usr/bin/gate-ftp
> /usr/bin/pftp
> [root at admin ~] uname -a
> FreeBSD admin.sibptus.tomsk.ru 9.3-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p4 #0 r273644: Sun Oct 26 11:37:20 NOVT 2014     root at admin.sibptus.tomsk.ru:/d01/build/obj/d01/build/9.3/sys/ADMIN  i386
> [root at admin ~]

This depends on your settings in /etc/freebsd-update.conf:
If the component "kernel" is enabled, the updated GENERIC
kernel will be installed. To avoid this, remove the com-
ponent "kernel" from the list. Keep in mind that you _might_
have to rebuild your custom kernel, so it's useful to have
the component "src" enabled, which will provide the source
version that corresponds to the updated binary installation.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany