zpool component names - gpt vs. gptid

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Nov 5 09:25:26 UTC 2014

These days I use GPT labelled partitions (/dev/gpt/<label>) exclusively
when creating zfs pools. However, on my latest box, where I have two
pools each with a single component, "zpool status" lists the components
as gptid/<uuid> rather than gpt/<label>

Is there any way to persuade zfs/zpool to use the GPT label devices
rather than the gptid devices? Failing that, how do you map gptid's back
to the underlying disk partitions? It's obvious in this case, but I'm
building a new file server with eight identical disks in a raidz2 set up
and am worried how I'll identify which disk has problems in the future.