Question about the update of openssl

Eduardo Duarte calhau69 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 23:32:51 UTC 2014

Hello,

I work for a company that was several servers using freebsd and for the
last couple of days a question is on our mind...

I understand that freebsd can have 2 versions of openssl installed. The
base one and one that is installed from ports.

My question is why openssl cannot be update through ports or another
system?

I understand that some times this update can be a problem and not a
solution but sometimes (Example:Heartbleed bug) it can be useful and also
sometimes we really want to update the machine to the last version before
put it into production!

If someone can answer I will be really happy and also if the question as
been asked already can someone point me to the answer and sorry for the
duplicate.

Best regards,

Eduardo Duarte