Postal Notification

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 3 19:39:31 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 11:20, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:15:25 -0600, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> On 11/03/14 10:01, jd1008 wrote:
>>

>> I 2nd this motion. The #1 source of SPAM which makes it to my home PC
>> (this FBSD 9.3p3 box) is crap going to this list, which I have
>> whitelisted :-/ ....
> This mailing list is public. It also is not being moderated.
> However, you can easily filter spam on client side, for example,
> if the messages contain HTML garbage, or certain keywords are
> met. Filtering for certain X-Mailer strings is also possible.
> If you don't want to do this in your MUA, you can use your
> MTA to do this at an earlier stage (either by deleting the
> offending messages, or simply denying to receive them).
>
> In my opinion, this is not even worth the time, as there
> is only _few_ spam on this list (compared to others!) which
> only requires a single DEL keypress to be deleted. In most
> cases, the subject is fully sufficient to determine if this
> action is required. This opinion illustrates that I'm a lazy
> person who doesn't receive thousands of messages per day to
> be bothered automating anything. ;-)

My ISP allows (Linux RHEL 5.n) shell access to their servers, & I have a
2100+ line procmail file doing *mucho* detailed keyword/header
filtering. Filtering HTML would lose anyone I buy something from on Ebay
or stuff from my brokers. My ISP has some pretty aggressive/effective
filtering as well. I only get 2-3 SPAMs/month, but unfortunately almost
*all* are from crap that leaks through on this list. Could the list
white-list anyone who subscribes, then eliminate any SPAMmers once they
rear their ugly heads ? I don't know what the solution is, & I think the
list is fabulously managed overall, but these SPAMs are irritating ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III