ZFS Root Mount Failure

Stephen R Guglielmo srguglielmo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:05:50 UTC 2014

On October 29, 2014 4:49:55 AM EDT, Erik Gustafson <gustafson.erik at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Stephen R Guglielmo
><srguglielmo at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Hey list,
>>
>> I have a machine running ZFS on root. It stopped responding this
>morning,
>> and upon a reboot, it was unable to mount root from zfs:zroot. It
>gave the
>> explanation of "error 5."
>>
>> I played with the mount prompt briefly, but didn't get anywhere. Any
>tips
>> for diagnosing and fixing the problem?
>>

>I had a similar issue recently. Error 5 on mount root. This was in
>virtaulbox after some sort of unexpected shutdown.
>To resolve i first made a snapshot in virtualbox
>booted from freebsd-disc1.iso (install dvd)
>zpool import
>reboot (and boot from zroot)
>zpool scrub
>
>zpool scrub said that i was going to loose some recently written data
>(generated by nightly poudrire build)
>I don't remember all, probably I needed some parameter to zpool import
>but
>all error messages were helpful it was quite easy to get it working
>again.
>
>Good luck and don't forget the backup/snapshot

Erik,

Thanks for the help! I was able to boot from a FreeBSD 10 CD. I got into the LiveCD shell and imported the zpool with no problems. It said my 4 disks were online. I then rebooted, however I got the same error at the mountroot prompt: "Mounting from zfs:zroot failed with error 5."

I'll try to play a bit more, maybe scrubbing it or something from the livecd.

Thanks,
Steve