ZFS Recommendations for a new server

markham breitbach markhamb at corp.ssimicro.com
Fri May 30 16:26:59 UTC 2014

Your RAID requirements will really depend upon the application.

ZFS supports lots of great features, but these generally come at an
expense in terms of cost, performance and complexity. If you don't
require any of the features of ZFS, then it is not likely worth the cost.

If this is a production server, stick to the hardware RAID (or have a
look at GEOM_MIRROR) until you have had a chance to familiarize yourself
with ZFS on a dev box somewhere.

-Markham