Back to Console with [ctrl] + [alt] + [Fn]

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Fri May 30 15:10:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, 30 May 2014, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> Am 30.05.2014 16:30, schrieb Stefan Parvu:
>> Hi, What GPU you use ?
> Thanks for the hint: I have got a Radeon GPU and now, that I know what I
> have to look for, I find
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU2MDk

Um, yeah, let's politely ignore that.

Switching from KMS to the console did not work because the old console
driver, syscons, did not know how to deal with it.  The console is
there, but not visible.

The new console driver, vt(4), is in 9-stable and 10-stable.  It must be
built into the kernel instead of syscons.  There is a sample kernel
config file called VT in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf (or i386, if you
prefer).

It works for me with both Intel and Radeon hardware.