Hardware for NAS/NFS?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed May 28 10:19:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014 04:03:46 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Thanks to various people on this list for suggestions.
>
> I'm looking for something that does not require a full computer,
> like the Seagate Central, which is an external NAS hard drive:
> 2, 3 or 4 TB, NTFS-formatted, USB 2.0 port, connects to wireless
> router by Ethernet.

Comparable to the Buffalo LinkStation I had (even though it could
only hold one disk, ext2 formatted). It's very low power and boots
from a combination of ROM and disk partition, whereas the rest of
the disk is for data storage. Access to data could happen via FTP,
CIFS and NFS, if I remember correctly.

Oh, I found a datasheet:

http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/HD-HXXXLAN_DS_092905.pdf

Maybe something like this, in "more modern", would fit your needs?
As far as I know, those things can be flashed to run Linux with
server functionality (mail server or DNS or web server), or even
run OpenBSD.

> NTFS is not the easiest file system to deal with from BSD or Linux,
> but it might not matter over Internet protocols.

But it will matter in case of data recovery. :-)

> Now I wish my wireless router had a USB port, don't know if there
> is any workable way to connect a USB drive to Ethernet through
> adapters.

Using a device as described and wiring it to the router would be
possible. Without further examination, how about those?

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

http://www.amazon.de/Buffalo-LinkStation-LS420D0402-EU-Speed-Gigabit/dp/B00COZ2K48

--
Polytropon