write-protected usb flash drive

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun May 25 15:52:03 UTC 2014

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 520, Issue 7, Message: 2
On 24 May 2014 08:22:15 -0600 Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org>
 > On 05/24/14 00:01, Polytropon wrote:
 > > On Fri, 23 May 2014 18:26:44 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
 > >> I'm having trouble locating what I want --
 > >> a physically write-protected flash drive.
 > >> My searches so far have come up empty.
 > >> Thought someone here would know of one if it exists.
 > >> I don't want or need additional encryption gimicks on it.
 > >> Anyone know of one?  32G or larger
[..]
 > > Additional fun: If you use a SD->?SD adapter, you can also use a
 > > micro-SD card. The adapter then provides the write protection slider.
 > > The mentioned advantages still apply. :-)
 >
 > I like this option better than the Kanguru one,
 > mostly because the kanguru drives seem to not be very robust;
 > lots of failures reported.

Gary, you've mentioned this several times.  Can you provide some links
to reports of failures or unreliability of the kangaru drives?

I thought they looked pretty attractive by both specs and price: AU$64
for a 32GB USB3 stick with way faster than average read/write speeds
plus the _rea_l write protect switch, I was about ready to lash out,
except that newegg are presently out of stock.

cheers, Ian

PS I'm still slightly miffed that an American company is not only using
our best-known national animal for its logo, but spells it the same way
as a minorly famous Aussie cult band of the '70s and '80s .. moreover a
band who would, I assure you, have had nothing to do with your DHS! :)