Is pkgng dependency solver immature? (Was: Re: Dependency on gettext)

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Tue May 20 17:52:53 UTC 2014

Matthew Seaman wrote:

> The reason pkg is trying to install all those packages is that one of
> the packages you have installed -- presumably from your sibptus
> repository -- has X11 support as a default option.  I'm guessing you've
> turned that off in your own repo, but unfortunately pkg(8) seems to pick
> up the dependency lists from the FreeBSD repo.

How is that possible? I thought that the dependency list was stored in
the package itself (in the +MANIFEST file) and not in the repo
metadata. Am I wrong?

There is nothing in digests.txz or packagesite.txz which looks like
dependencies. Correct me if I am wrong.

> If you can identify
> which pkg or pkgs are causing this effect, then adding the annotation to
> say "always get this package from a specific repository" might help:
>
>     pkg annotate -A pkgname repository sibptus

I already use this feature extensively. In fact, I annotate with "repository
sibptus" every package that should come from my repository only.

The question is, how can I identify the package that is causing this
effect? I am ready to pick at the sqlite database if necessary, I just
need a hint what to look for.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru