A myth that has been omission in FreeBSD Advocacy Project‏

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 16 04:29:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, 15 May 2014 21:22:17 -0700, Benjamin Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2014 03:30:49 +0200, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 May 2014 02:52:15 +0300, velocidade da luz wrote:
> > > A myth that has was omitted in FreeBSD Advocacy Project is
> > > as follows: The hardware and software vendors consider the
> > > BSD system used as Hobby.http://www.freebsd.org/advocacy/myths.html
> [...]
> > > Do you agree with me?
> >
> > Agree on what? That BSD systems are a hobby? Definitely not.
> > Furthermore, the page you mentioned doesn't mention the word
> > "hobby"... And by the way, many users of the BSDs just don't
> > care much about what hardware and software vendors might think
> > about what BSD is; their focus is on using and developing
> > BSD to become better every day and make it available to those
> > who want to improve the world we live in.
>
> You seem to have misread the original post, which suggested that "BSD is
> a hobby" should be added to the list of *myths* on the advocacy page
> precisely to preempt such claims.

Erm... now that I re-read the question: Yes, that's a fully
valid interpretation. Note that English is not my native
language.

Still the question to answer prior to adding something to the
list of myths is: Do hardware and software vendors _really_
consider BSD a hobby, or (which I think is more likely) don't
they really know about it, or ignore it?

Again, the fact that many businesses work because BSD exists,
and many corporation building their infrastructure on BSD
(even when they don't know or admit it) would suggest that
they do _not_ consider BSD a hobby. But that's just my very
individual interpretation, I'm not a million $ company. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany