pkgng messed up

Nagy László Zsolt gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu May 15 13:30:36 UTC 2014

I had to upgrade a system that was abandoned for a year or so. I could
do a binary upgrade on the base system from 9.1 to 9.2. Next step was to
update the ports tree and go over /usr/ports/UPDATING. While processing
UPDATING, I have installed pkgng (as suggested). Now, if I issue a "pkg
upgrade" command I get hundreds of conflict messages like this:

Checking integrity...pkg: WARNING: locally installed perl-5.12.4_4
conflicts on /usr/local/bin/a2p with:
         - perl5-5.16.3_9

I'm not sure what to do with these. The strangest thing is that none of
them are installed:

root at backup:~ # perl -version
This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 4 (v5.14.4) built for amd64-freebsd

I cannot remove these with old package programs:

root at backup:~ # pkg_delete perl-5.12.4_4
pkg_delete: no such package 'perl-5.12.4_4' installed

Perl 5.12 is not in the ports tree anymore, so cannot delete with "make
deinstall".

There are  hundreds of similar messages for postgresql too:

pkg: WARNING: locally installed postgresql93-client-9.3.4 conflicts on
/usr/local/bin/droplang with:
         - postgresql90-client-9.0.17

Actually, postgresql client is not installed on this machine at all.

Command exists with error code. I cannot read the actual error message
because there are so many warnings that I cannot scroll back. :-(

Can you please help me? Where to start?

    Laszlo