games

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 14:20:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 08:24:38 -0400
Fbsd8 wrote:

> RW wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 May 2014 00:24:23 +0200

> "/usr/games/random is used by the ports system for
> RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES"
>
> This is not totally true. random may be used by the ports system, but
> not what is in /usr/games.

$ grep RANDOM_CMD /usr/ports/Mk/*
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:RANDOM_CMD?=	/usr/games/random
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:_RANDOMIZE_SITES=	" |${RANDOM_CMD}
${RANDOM_ARGS}"

> I have been removing /usr/games directory since release 4.0 and never
> have had any problems.

What you don't have you don't miss.

I didn't say it's essential, but I find RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES and
random(6) to be useful.

I wouldn't recommend setting RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES unconditionally,
but I find it useful in scripts to refetch with it set after a checksum
has failed.