How is rpc.lockd called? (in »chroot« environment nfs-write-open fails with "lockd not responding")

Harald Schmalzbauer h.schmalzbauer at omnilan.de
Fri May 9 16:10:56 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'd like to understand what's going on when opening a file for write
access, like 'vi myfile'.

I have a FreeBSD-9.2 machine, mounted a nfs shre to /mnt.
'vi /mnt/myfile' works without problems.

Now I also mount the same nfs-share to /jail/mnt
After 'chroot /jail su -' I can't open myfile, I just get "lockd not
responding" errors.

So I wonder how a file lock is requested in general and in the nfs case.
Is there any unix socket which must be accessable (I don't think so,
outside the jail there's only /var/run/rpcbind).

Thanks for the lesson, any links explaining (nfs)lock-requests also
highly appreciated!

-Harry