printing to BR-Script using CUPS with generic postscript driver

Gyrd Thane Lange gyrd-se at thanelange.no
Tue May 6 10:50:15 UTC 2014

Den 06. mai 2014 04:11, skrev Andrew Gould:
> I'm considering the purchase of a Brother laser jet printer (HL5470DW or
> HL6180DW).  According to the specifications, the printer uses BR-Script3.
> According to Brother's website, "BR-Script3 is PostScript®3™ compatible".
>
> http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail/1/HL6180DW/spec#.U2hDKLylhuY
>
> Has anyone printed successfully to a BR-Script printer using CUPS and the
> generic postscript driver?

I have a Brother HL-3070CW (with BR-Script 3 and PCL6) that I am very
happy with. It will print most anything you throw at it. You don't even
need CUPS. Here is my printcap file. I just send the PostScript directly
to the printer.

cat /etc/printcap

# Using direct port on printer
lp|ps|brother|Brother HL-3070CW:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=9100 at brother-wl:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brother:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

# Using the built-in job manager in printer
brother2|Brother HL-3070CW (LPD):\
	:sh:\
	:rm=brother-wl:sd=/var/spool/lpd/brother2:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

The printer is easy to setup. Just let it get an initial IP address via
cabled LAN and you can use the printers own browser based configuration
service to set up Wireless and other settings. (Other configuration
methods also exist).

Best regards,

Gyrd ^_^