Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam

Mike Sanders hybrid120 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 08:57:45 UTC 2014

Matthew Pherigo wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
> First of all, it should be noted that the prevalence of spam on
> this mailing list is not because the configuration of this list
> is insecure, but because using email in mailing lists has always
> been an easy way to harvest email addresses, and spammers have
> only now caught on.

Hi Matt, thanks for your thoughts I earnestly appreciate that,
but when you do the math, well no offense intended, its not
very convincing =(

Consider this kind sir: If more time is spent protecting those
whom disrupt the list than those who contribute, that is a net
loss pure & simple.

Should this list be free to all? Sure. But I'm espousing a more
subtle distinction... Just as I would talk to others freely in a
public square, I would NOT wear my personal info emblazoned on my
vest pocket either.

btw... I'm posting this after reading the website, & I took
the liberty of using your email address to post this reply,
hope you dont mind.

But hey no biggie, even personal info ought to be free too, right?

--
Mike Sanders
www: http://freebsd.hypermart.net