Respecting Privacy: How To Prevent Spam

Bernt Hansson bah at bananmonarki.se
Thu May 1 05:15:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-30 23:11, Mike Sanders wrote:
> Mike Sanders wrote:
>
>> <http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html>
>>
>> Under section 'Spam-specific posting filters':
>>
>> Value: Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
>> (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields)

>> appears to be coming from the list itself instead of the original poster.
>> Provides some added privacy for posters, but may be annoying to some list
>> members as mailbox headers show only the list name instead of the
>> actual poster.
>
> Okay enough...
>
> Because I spoke out about this, spammers are attacking my inbox
> with malformed email, attachments, etc. Don't know if these messages
> are turning up on the list, but someone is replying to my list messages
> with email such as:
>
> 'Would you like to meet? I'll let you lick my twat'
>
> If this list ever becomes secure look me up, I'd love to learn from you guys.
>
> I'm out.

Well. We are getting an spam mail every 30 seconds this night/morning
all from blocked ip addresses.

For example;

dnsbl.sorbs.net/184.187.10.98: IP is listed
cbl.abuseat.org/184.187.10.98: IP is listed
zen.spamhaus.org/184.187.10.98: IP is listed
DNSBL/REJECT: Message score (14) has reached or exceeded maximum (5)