untrusted user mount usb, followed handbook, still no luck

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 22:25:42 UTC 2014

>From jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk Sun Mar 30 22:52:25 2014
>
>On Sunday 30 Mar 2014 22:39:49 Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
>> I followed the handbook, sec, 18.5. USB Storage Devices:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html
>>
>> but still I get:
>>
>> $ mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 mnt/
>
>Do you own the mountpoint?

yes:

$ ls -al /home/mexas/mnt/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 mexas  wheel   512 Mar 30 22:00 .
drwxr-xr-x  43 mexas  wheel  2048 Mar 30 22:24 ..
$

One thing is slightly not clear.
Examples in devfs.conf(5) man page are
quite different to the handbook.
Perhaps the devfs.conf man page is outdated.
I see lots of examples on the net from 5-10
years ago, all similar to devfs.conf style,
e.g.:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/freebsd-allow-ordinary-users-mount-cd-rom-dvds-usb-removabledevice/

own       /dev/da0       root:operator
perm      /dev/da0       0666

which is different to the handbook, which
has:

[localrules=5]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator

HOwever, I tried adding the "own/perm" lines
to devfs.conf too, still no luck.

Many thanks

Anton