(still) problems with email/ssl and t-online.de/telekom.de

Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach johannes-maria at t-online.de
Fri Mar 28 15:46:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 03:38:22PM +0100, Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach wrote:
> but can't send any messages due to problems with authentication:
> and the mail delivery system returns the mail to me with the message
>
>   530 5.7.0 Authentication required.
>   554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
>   (while talking to sfwdallmx.t-online.de)
>

> I created a certificate with make cert in /usr/ports/security/stunnel
> when I installed stunnel (as adviced in the pkg-message); the certificate
> is stored in /usr/local/etc/stunnel.
> And in stunnel.log I find:
>

> What is wrong and what else should I do for proper authentication?

I tried to get a connection with telnet.
For the authentication I encoded (with perl -MMIME::Base64) my
login/mail-name (johannes-Maria) and the password I use for getting
my emails from securepop.t-online.de into a string which I denote
by ... in the example below.

With telnet and stunnel/relay I try to connect to securesmtp.t-online.de:

| # telnet relay-domain 2525
| Trying 127.0.0.1...
| Connected to relay-domain.
| Escape character is '^]'.
| 220 fwd14.t-online.de T-Online ESMTP receiver fmsad15465 ready. \
|   / T-Online ESMTP receiver securesmtp.t-online.de ready.
| EHLO localhost
| 250-fwd14.t-online.de ready.
| 250-SIZE 52428800
| 250-8BITMIME
| 250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
| 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
| 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
| 250 HELP
| MAIL From: <johannes-maria at t-online.de>
| 530 5.7.0 Authentication required.
| AUTH PLAIN ...
| 235 2.5.0 Authentication successful. / Authentifizierung erfolgreich.
| quit
| 221 2.0.0 fwd14.t-online.de closing. / Verbindung wird getrennt.
| Connection closed by foreign host.

Where do I put this authentication string in the sendmail and/or
stunnel configuration so that authentication works also for sending
mails?

Thanks in advance,
Johannes-Maria