(still) problems with email/ssl and t-online.de/telekom.de

Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach johannes-maria at t-online.de
Wed Mar 26 14:23:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:20:59 +0100,
Christian.Schmidt at chemie.uni-hamburg.de wrote:

> http://www.dawoodfall.net/index.php/en/relaying-sendmail-a-ssl describes
> how to setup sendmail with stunnel submit mails via SMTPS.

thank you very much for this valuable help!

With this description I was able to let sendmail try to connect
securesmtp.t-online.de instead of smtpmail.t-online.de via stunnel
but there remains a problem, which is perhaps some triviality
but I was not able to solve it:

Authentication fails, the mails are not delivered, the connection
times out.
In /var/log/maillog I get messages like
 sendmail[5931]: s2QDratA005931: to=johannes-maria at t-online.de, \
 ctladdr=jmk (1001/1001), delay=00:05:09, xdelay=00:05:09, mailer=relay, \
 pri=30051, relay=relay-domain.org. [62.157.140.133], dsn=4.0.0, \
 stat=Deferred: Operation timed out with relay-domain.org.
The mailer daemon sends a "Returned mail: see transcript for details"-
message with
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 530 5.7.0 Authentication required.

When I try to telnet via stunnel to securesmtp.t-online.de
it stops after the 'Escape character' line:
| # telnet relay-domain.org 2525
| Trying 62.157.140.133...
| Connected to relay-domain.org.
| Escape character is '^]'.
I expected now something like  220 securesmtp.t-online.de ESMTP ...
but it just stops here and I have to kill the process.
Probably same reason: failed authentication.

There is also an error message I get after (re)starting sendmail:
sm-mta[...]: auxpropfunc error invalid parameter supplied
(always with a different number between the [, ])
I couldn'd get rid of it and I don't know if this has anything
to to with the failing authentication.
(I found nothing helpful when searching the internet for this
message; on one page I found "The log entry 'auxprocfunc error
invalid parameter supplied' is not an error report but just a
warning." Should I just ignore it?)

How can I make the authentication work?

Thanks very much in advance,
Johannes-Maria