Single-User mode problems

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Tue Mar 25 13:17:28 UTC 2014

I am seeing two problems when system goes to single-user mode.

1. If I boot into single-user, It gives ""cannot read termcap database using
dumb terminal settings". I have checked /usr/share/misc and ran "# cap_mkdb
termcap". Resulting .db file is same size as before.

2. On the other hand, if I go to single user with "shutdown now", "Enter
full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:",  Return > system freezes and
shows "init: can't exec for single user no such file or directory". I then
have to "ctrl+alt+del" and reboot.

It's possible problem #1 is related to #2, but I can't figure out how...

$ ls /bin/*sh*  >  csh  sh   tcsh
$ cat /etc/shells  >  /bin/sh, /bin/csh, /bin/tcsh, /usr/local/bin/bash,
/usr/local/bin/rbash, /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-shell

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS