'make' behavior in FreeBSD-10 ?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue Mar 25 09:19:17 UTC 2014

On 24/03/2014 18:36, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 03/24/2014 02:06 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to track down an issue in compiling 'autotools' packages
>>> that appears in FreeBSD-10 .
>>> (I'm not a frequent FreeBSD user, so it's possible I'm missing
>>> something - any help would be appreciated).
>>
>> Is automake specifically what you're trying to build, or are the other
>> questions relevant as well?
>>
>> This is relevant because it sounds as though you are not trying to use
>> the FreeBSD ports (or pkg; they're really the same thing in terms of
>> what gets installed) system. That's the usual way such a thing would be
>> done, and the exceptions are almost entirely people who would be able to
>> answer such questions for themselves.
>
> I'm trying to build a package that uses autotools+automake, and should
> be built with "./confgure && make".
>
> These issues were detected in an package of mine, and were reproducible
> with the canonical "GNU-Hello" project
> ( https://www.gnu.org/software/hello/ ) .
>
> I'd assume that almost any project that uses "automake" would faces
> these issues.
>
> I am not using "pkg" - under the (wrong?) assumption that a portable
> package written in C and uses "autotools" should be portable enough to
> be compiled on many different OSes.

It would be better to say that a portable package written in C and using
autotools should be portable enough to be compiled on many different
distros of Linux and possibly on other systems if they have sufficient
of the Gnu tools installed.

autotools is a Gnu software suite and presumes a Gnu infrastructure
including Gnu make. The initial BSD release which was the ancestor of
all the *BSDs today was six years before Gnu was even announced as a
concept.