Using pkg with build options

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Tue Mar 25 03:33:14 UTC 2014

On 3/24/14, 7:51 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:40:25 -0700, David Newman wrote:

>>> Yes.  Poudriere is really only helpful if you have multiple machines
>>> using the same binary packages.  One machine builds all the packages,
>>> then the rest of them install from it.
>>
>> Is this also true when updating the ports tree? E.g., update ports on
>> poudriere box, rebuild packages, install packages from poudriere box to
>> all other boxes.
>
> Usually yes. If you rely on binary packages, you don't
> even have to install the ports tree (or keep it up to
> date). You only need to update the ports tree from
> which Poudriere builds your packages, your other
> machines don't need to deal with ports anymore.
> Installing and updating packages is now possible
> with "pkg install" and "pkg update" from your own
> binary package source.
>

>> That would be a huge time saver, not just for initial setup but each
>> $interval when ports gets updated.
>
> The Poudriere + pkg "toolset" basically accomplishes what
> the FreeBSD build servers do: Compile packages, maybe
> with custom options, and serve them as a "repository",
> a package source, to your other machines.

Speaking of options: Earlier in this thread, Matthew Seaman mentioned
that 'pkg info -fa' displays options for all packages.

For purposes of maintaining a system with 'pkg update/upgrade', is there
a means of determining which binaries have been compiled with
non-default options?

I _think_ I know which ports/packages have non-default options set, but
am concerned about missing one or more. . .

thanks

dn