Using pkg with build options

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Tue Mar 25 00:17:41 UTC 2014

On 3/24/14, 5:05 PM, Warren Block wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014, David Newman wrote:
>
>> I'm still quite confused over the migration to pkg.
>>
>> I have a mix of 9.2 and 10.0 machines. Most run at least one port
>> compiled with options.
>>
>> Is there a guide to moving these machines to pkg and poudriere?
>
> Are they all using ports now?

Yes.

> Then just switch each to the pkg database
> by adding WITH_PKGNG=yes and running pkg2ng to convert the package
> information.  After that, continue to use ports as normal.  pkg will
> keep track of them just like the old pkg_* programs did.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

> Using Poudriere to build binary packages of your own is not required.
> But if you want to do it, there's a short section on setting up
> Poudriere in the Handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-poudriere.html

Part of the appeal of pkg is that package binaries install much faster
than waiting for 'portmaster -aD' to complete after updating the ports tree.

However, if I understand that poudriere link, it would still build my
custom packages from ports, and thus there isn't much time savings. Correct?

Thanks again

dn