Using pkg with build options

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 23 14:28:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Darrell Betts wrote:

>   Currently have FreeBSD 9.2 installed. I would like to start using pkg
>   install but I can't find how to use it with build options like the old
>   make install clean method. Can anyone share a light on this?

pkg(8) is a package database.  It can use pre-built binary packages, but
also works with ports.  Just use the same standard port methods like
'make install clean', and avoid the pkg options that install pre-built
packages like 'pkg install' or 'pkg upgrade'.

To put it another way: using pkg(8) does not mean you are forced to use
binary packages.