VPN choices? (OVPN)

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:37:16 UTC 2014

Hi again.

Well, I'm completely confused now.

I've tried setting up a test server on a Vbox VM, in any one of several ways, as
documented in various place on t'interweb.   Some are better to understand
than others, but none seem to cover all that is needed in detail, resulting in
conflicts and contradictions when I try to fill the gaps in based on what others
did, and of course lack of functionality.

No doubt the individual authors each made it work for themselves, but have all
left out little (but vitaly important) details.   All unintentional no doubt, but
show stoppers none the less for us meer mortals

So, all fail at some point, due to undocumented (assumed) items that are
missing from the write up.   Like some .conf.default files, that actually need to
be renamed or coppied to just .conf type filenames.

The OVPN site itself seems to have a lot of good info, but you end up bouncing
all over the place, loosing the plot in the process, I think at one point I had over
30 open web pages, just on the OVPN site!  Not helped by my lack of attention
span and other diversions!...

There also seems to be, to my eyes anyway, a complete lack of standardisation
regarding the locations of the various configuration files, and some of the
contents or the format of them therin, as used by the various writeup authors.

So, does anyone know of, or have a "Proven" workflow document that covers
ALL that's needed, to get a OVPN server (Bridging mode, I need UDP traffic to
flow) working on FBSD9.2, and traveling client on Win7?   Single server, single
client, fixed pre-shared key, no PFS needed.

The only thing I'm now good at, is cloning instances of the OS in VBox!

I'm using FreeBSD9.2 (no "ports" collection, to keep the virtual disk size down)
but "pkg_add -r xxxx" seems to work OK.

Hosted at present on a Win7 pro (64bit) host.

The intended final server is a regular i386 box running FBSD9.2, the client will
be the Win7 Pro box as above.    I'm glad I'm not trying this on real hardware,
else I'd be reloading the OS every 10 minutes.

Cheers.

Dave B.