FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Mar 19 18:40:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:45:03 -0700, dteske at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Well, XSM gives me a list when I log in or I can select "Failsafe" which
> gives me
> a single XTerm.

With wdm, you also get a list, if I remember correctly.

> Never knew that XDM had a fail-safe. I think if I read what you wrote
> correctly,
> XDM can be told to (by pressing ... F1?) not load the .xsession file?

Correct. I just re-checked - it automatically opens
only a controlling terminal (from which you can launch
a window manager and anything else). See "man xdm"
for details (search for "failsafe").

This configuration detail can be customized via the
Xresource file of xdm, /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources (as
defined in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config) or default location
at /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources. There are other
special keys (keypad ENTER for example) that have a
session-related meaning.

> Otherwise I'm a bit confused... I use XSM in the fashion you describe (I
> launch
> a failsafe, test a window manager, quit it, then use xsm to create a
> profile, log
> out, back in, and can now select it from a menu.

That is what wdm also can do. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany