Upgrading FreeBSD to patch level with subversion

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Mar 19 14:10:08 UTC 2014

Olivier Nicole <olivier.nicole at cs.ait.ac.th> writes:

> I don't understand how subversion works (or does not work).

I think I've used five different version control systems in the last
week. The context switching is driving me nuts.

> When I upgrade a machine from 9.1 to 9.2 with:
>
> svn checkout http://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/base/releng/9.2 /usr/src
>
> I get a kernel 9.2-RELEASE-p3 as expected
>
> Now if I installed a machine with 9.2-RELEASE and I try the same svn
> command, nothing get updated.

And nothing at all is printed when you do this?

> Is there some magic to be added (beside deleting /usr/src) to get svn
> to do the update?

Go to /usr/src/ and try "svn info"; if you have an svn repository based
there, it will give you (among other information) the server URL it is
using as a base.

> At least with cvs, update did mean update.

I hate to break it to you, but 'update' works just about *exactly* the
same between svn and cvs. I strongly suspect your issues are that you
don't  have the metadata installed to let svn keep track of the local
workfiles. Certainly CVS doesn't work without that either.

As I recall from installing sources in a FreeBSD initial install,
sysinstall never installed the CVS tracking files either. Most people
just ran an "adoption" procedure to get cvsup to start from the
installed sources -- and if those didn't match the release exactly, you
could end up with problems. But then, I could be wrong; I haven't done
an initial install with sources in many, many years, largely for this
reason.