FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:31:04 UTC 2014

I face FreeBSD as a system you build,
Yes there are the freebsd packages, it is suposed to function,
but as there are about 32000 ports, I think it is quite impossible
to make them all work together.

So I face FreeBSD have to be used in a various ways,
to be served several needs, for example, I build a 1030 packages
for both 9.X and 10.X servers that have all gnome2, postgres, cyrus...
NO Mysql, mono, monodevelop, NO Eclipse...

In other server, there is XFce, Mysql...

Once the servers are built and in internet, installing a new FreeBSD
over the
net (about 1GB) is quite easy, and works out of the box.
Indeed, you someone wants to try, please email me...
it is only one command:  pkg install -y gnome2  and in 2 hours you have
all the FreeBSD gnome, postgres... a system about 99% ready...

Once a week, a simple pkg upgrade -y does the job of making it running.
I installed FreeBSD on several notebooks, the numbers are greater than
100's
all running FreeBSD10, and gnome2, I have hundreds of happy users.

GNOME3???  I did not like, it brakes the idea of the "simple and usefull
gnome2",
the users did not adapt to gnome3 (kind of windows 7 to windows 8
move),
before all of you fans of gnome3 throw me the stones, remember that here
in the
list all of us are not computer literates, we are computer experts that
are able
to install a unix system.
The "USER"  that just wants to turn on the computer, and
use it for facebook, office, email, the system is wonderfull, does all
the user wants
to do i a simple way, without "tricks", with panel, fast, never breaks.
Look at the APPLE, for example, the user interface does not change, if
you see a macbook of 10 years ago
the OS-X interface is the same... Apple learned the lesson, Microsoft
did not.  Users wants
either an keyboard + mouse in a notebook/desktop OR a point and click
interface of Android.
not both on the same device... (MY OPPINION).  Have someone tried to
write a document
in a tablet???  or watch a movie on a notebook???

Just my modest oppinion.