Pkgng | Compiled versions download

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 16 17:45:21 UTC 2014

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014, Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> Polytropon:
>> Combining those methods has been possible for decades, but emphasizes that
>> you know what you're doing. :-)
>
> Jep - for me is was just running a batch that ran for over 7 years without
> problems. Upgrading to another way of processing forces me to raise my
> learning curve by doing things of which I am not yet certain I know what I am
> doing.
>
>> If I read this correctly: You have previously been using compiled (by you)
>> versions of the mentioned programs, and pkg didn't upgrade them?
>
> I use the following method:
>
> #
> svn update /usr/src
> svn update /usr/ports
> svn info /usr/src
> svn info /usr/ports
> #
> cd /usr/ports
> make fetchindex

portmaster will fetch the most recent index with options like -L.
portupgrade can do it, too.

> cd /usr/local/etc
> portsdb -fu

pkgdb is part of portupgrade.  It is unnecessary if you are using
portmaster.

> after which I report myself by email and do a manual portmaster -a (previous
> portupgrade -a) to get synced very day.

Always, yes always, check /usr/ports/UPDATING before updating ports.
The ports crew has reduced the need for manual steps, but they still
occur sometimes.  If missed, problems will occur.