configuring base server system: lots of questions

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sun Mar 16 16:32:16 UTC 2014

hello:
I am pressed on cash, but wanted to switch from Linode (Linux) to BSD. I
had a few reasons, mainly that i like BSD quite a lot. I found the
soyoustart servers and at least right now for my needs, it's working
good. I am in the process of switching everything over--I'll do an
install and will end up just wiping everything out and rebuilding this
all later when I know exactly what I want to do, so I have a few questions:
1) I've seen a lot of discussion on ZFS. This server comes with 2 2tb
drives on raid, so I assume it's a mirror. Would ZFS be useful in this
case, or should I stick to UFS? I want to do a lot of work with jails:
jail each individual service. Is this viable? I've also tightened up the
kernel a bit and installed a pretty basic firewall. Are there other
security concerns I need to worry about? What is the general checklist?
2) When accessing jails, I have a game I am developing that I want to
host on this server. There are a few of us that will have access to the
running copy--should they just sudo ezjail-admin console game, or is
there a more secure method to allow individual users access?
3) I have 95 some odd updates with portmaster over the last two weeks.
Is it viable somehow to just apply security patches? Is there a way to
do that, until I have the time to sit down and apply all these updates
individually?
4) My CFLAGS in make.conf looks like this: CFLAGS+=-O2 -march=native -s
is this recommended? If not, what would be a better setup? Usually -O2
is a good level since -O3 tends (from what I've heard) to create a lot
of cache misses. I wanted it to tune to my processor and strip. I was
also looking at using -flto and -flto=8 (Is there a LDFLAGS), but I
again wasn't sure if this was recommended.
5) Any other tips/advice would be awesome. I'll be deploying NGinx, php
(fastcgi/other ideas), mysql and postfix to start with--possibly with
amavis-new for spamassassin and clamav.

Thanks in advance for the help,

--
Take care,