Another case of the vanishing disk

Erich Dollansky erich at alogt.com
Sun Mar 16 06:22:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 01:04:05 -0500
cruxpot <cruxpot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in December, it was the power supply. That was a cheap Rosewill
> 300W PSU. The new is a Corsair CX500 (500W). The system basically just
> has an old SCSI card and 4 Green Barracuda 2TB disks and a low end
> pci-e video card and pci-e gigabit NIC. How can the PSU be the problem
> since I replaced it and it's more than adequate?

the power supply has to regulate the supplied voltages withing a given
range. If this does not work, drives tend to have problems. Your
problem will be that you do not have the tools to check for this.

The problem is that it is a rare thing. It is as rare that four drives
go together.

Can you run the machine with another power supply to test? Store the
SMART values of each disk when you start the test and compare after
some time.

Erich