Help with SMTP AUTH

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Sat Mar 15 19:07:02 UTC 2014

From: Drew Tomlinson
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:10 PM
To: freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Help with SMTP AUTH

> I'm running FreeBSD 10 with Postfix 2.11, Cyrus SASL 2.1.26, and saslauthd
> 2.1.26 .  I've followed various tutorials on the Net and even checked my
> current configs against backups from a machine that died but used to run
> smtp auth successfully.
>
> I've also tested using testsaslauthd and get the OK message:

Edit /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf and put following in there (add
additional mechs if needed/desired):

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login

Then check that you have something like this in postfix/master.cf in
addition of other settings:

smtps    inet   n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt
#  -o smtpd_etrn_restrictions=reject
# Submission kept for older client conformity
submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
  -o smtpd_etrn_restrictions=reject
  -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
  -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt

and in postfix main.cf something like this:

smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes

This should help you further,