Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 15 16:54:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:46:18 -0400, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 05:29:57PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > > Legally it depends on the country you live in.
> > >
> > > In many (most?) countries you do not need the FreeBSD foundation's
> > > permission to use the logo on a T-shirt for personal use.
> >
> > In German we have a saying for legal gray areas: "Wo kein Kläger, da
> > kein Richter!" I didn't find a translation for this idiom.
>
> I know about as much German as any other single-language native English
> speaker. But there is the more general English expression "Better safe
> than sorry."

It doesn't really translate to the above statement, which
can be sloppily translated as "[where] no plaintiff,
[there] no judge" and basically means as long as nobody
will complain, no decision (for example by a court) will
be made.

> My point is that if you are a fan of FreeBSD then it will be good for the
> project to work with the relevant people regarding FreeBSD's trademarks.
> Please avoid putting the project in a position where it will end up looking
> bad.

I'd say the intention shown in the initial question
is very positive and should probably find support by
the responsible persons from The FreeBSD Foundation.
But as you said: Knowing the _local_ law in this case
won't hurt.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany