[Bulk] Re: If the BSD become known as Linux, BSD distributions will be millions just like there are on Linux?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 15 01:38:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 18:26 +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 18:01:26 +0000 (UTC)
> "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

> > There are also builds of a Linux userland on FreeBSD kernel.
>
> 	That is quite easily achieved, many linux distros will install and
> run quite happily in a FreeBSD jail. I have a Centos install running in one
> in order to run a CUPS printer driver that is only available as a Linux
> binary.

This likely depends to the usage, assumed linux-rtai for CNC or linux-rt
for audio is needed, people need Linux. AFAIK FreeBSD doesn't provide
real-time abilities.

JFTR applications written on and for FreeBSD seemingly are used on Linux
too, there at least is one audio app, IIRC it's a MIDI sequencer. I have
forgotten it's name.

Regards,
Ralf

PS - less thinking about this thread, but more about another thread on
this list, anyway, not OT:

I'm not aware about fronts between FreeBSD and Linux users.

When eating a soup a spoon is a good tool, when eating a cake, a cake
fork is a good tool.

Are there fronts between spoon and cake fork users?