VPN choices?

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:54:05 UTC 2014

> > On Mar 13, 2014, at 10:08, Dave B <g8kbvdave at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All.
> >
> > A question for the collective.   I'm asking here, as I trust the opinions of the
> > assembled masses, over some other (perhaps) more appropriated lists.
> >
> > Anyway...
> >
> > I have a need for a simple VPN, to tunnel TCP and UDP trafic.   It's the UDP
> > requiement that's stumping me at present.
> >

> I found this useful in setting up a VPN:
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?&t=26755

Thanks Peter, I keep forgetting the web forums, as I hate them with a
vengance!  (Another story, another time.)

Intetesting thread though, not sure how relevant it is to a Windows client, as all
that was talking about iOS and other wierdness.    My DSL router supports L2TP
VPN's, but Windows will not complete the connection process.  They see each
other just fine, but looking at the router's log's, there is a version mismatch
somewhere, so they can't agree on a protocol etc.   (That idea was suggested
by the office IT types!)

Would the generic kernel in 9.2 include the "patches" called out in "Post #82".
(dead link btw.)

But, I wonder...  If I go that route, rather than recompiling the kernel to
support ipsec etc, if  "/boot/loader.conf"  can be used, in the same way I've
enabled PPS support for the NTPD process, in 9.2

"pps_load=yes"

At least I can do system updates without needing to rebuild the kernel each
time.

(Looking in loader defaults, I can't see anything related to what could be
needed.  Oh well...)

More reading to do, but I'm "read out" just now.

Thanks again.

Dave B.