FreeBSD 10 installer and ZFS root

dteske at FreeBSD.org dteske at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 12 15:18:01 UTC 2014

I guess that's an approach. I'm still left wondering why you wouldn't just
create
the file /etc/installerconfig and set the ZFSBOOT_DATASETS variable.

Setting this variable in /etc/installerconfig on the installation media will
override
the default value of:

116 ZFSBOOT_DATASETS="
117 	# DATASET	OPTIONS (comma or space separated; or both)
118
119 	# Boot Environment [BE] root and default boot dataset
120 	/$ZFSBOOT_BEROOT_NAME				mountpoint=none
121 	/$ZFSBOOT_BEROOT_NAME/$ZFSBOOT_BOOTFS_NAME	mountpoint=/
122
123 	# Compress /tmp, allow exec but not setuid
124 	/tmp		mountpoint=/tmp,compression=lz4,exec=on,setuid=off
125
126 	# Don't mount /usr so that 'base' files go to the BEROOT
127 	/usr		mountpoint=/usr,canmount=off
128
129 	# Home directories separated so they are common to all BEs
130 	/usr/home	# NB: /home is a symlink to /usr/home
131
132 	# Ports tree
133 	/usr/ports		compression=lz4,setuid=off
134
135 	# Source tree (compressed)
136 	/usr/src	compression=lz4,exec=off,setuid=off
137
138 	# Create /var and friends
139 	/var		mountpoint=/var
140 	/var/crash	compression=lz4,exec=off,setuid=off
141 	/var/log	compression=lz4,exec=off,setuid=off
142 	/var/mail	compression=lz4,atime=on
143 	/var/tmp	compression=lz4,exec=on,setuid=off
144 " # END-QUOTE

The variable is a multi-line string that describes the datasets and their
properties.

NOTE WELL: When overriding the variable with different contents,
the variables ZFSBOOT_BEROOT_NAME and ZFSBOOT_BOOTFS_NAME
have not yet been defined, so those should be translated to their literal
string values, shown below...

ZFSBOOT_BEROOT_NAME=ROOT
ZFSBOOT_BOOTFS_NAME=default
--