FreeBSD 10 RELEASE amd64 how to install on single drive with encrypted ZFS root?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Fri Mar 7 18:10:16 UTC 2014

On 03/07/2014 06:18 AM, dweimer wrote:
> Actually, when using the 10 installer after you select ZFS install, you
> get an options screen that allows you to configure it to use encryption.
> Full options configurable are as follows:
> Pool Type/Disks
> Poll Name
> Force 4k Sectors
> Encrypt Disks
> Partition Scheme
> Swap Size

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

I tried that, but ended up with a system that would not boot -- my BIOS
didn't think the hard drive was bootable.

> I did a test install in vmware with the encryption options with no
> problems.  However I did end up choosing the manual method when I did my
> laptop setup for one simple reason.  I wanted to understand it fully in
> case I ran into a boot issue down the road and needed to go through a
> recovery process, and couldn't think of a better to know I understood it
> better than manually doing the setup.

Understanding how to build a bootable disk with FreeBSD and encrypted
ZFS root by hand, and being able to make adjustments as desired, are
worthy goals.  But for now, I just want to get a working system by the
simplest means.  If I can use the installer to produce a bootable system
with encrypted ZFS root, I'll be happy.

David