FreeBSD 10 RELEASE amd64 how to install on single drive with encrypted ZFS root?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Fri Mar 7 08:10:37 UTC 2014

calomel.org:

I've been using Debian GNU/Linux for many years, and have recently
ventured into zfs-fuse and zfsonlinux.

I'd like to try ZFS on FreeBSD by installing
FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1 or -memstick on a single drive and end
up with an encrypted ZFS root partition/ slice/ whatever. (And, I
assume, an unencrypted boot partition.)

The FreeBSD manual covers 9 and the wiki "Root on ZFS" article covers 8.

STFW I've found several things for 9, but no direct hits for 10 with
encrypted ZFS root.  (There is a Flash video that might cover it, but I
don't do Adobe.)

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David