mdconfig via rc.conf

dteske at FreeBSD.org dteske at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 5 18:59:12 UTC 2014

[Devin Teske]

Sorry for late reply. But here's what you want...

# In /etc/rc.conf
mdconfig_md0="-t malloc -s 12G"

# In /etc/fstab
/dev/md0 /mymountpoint ufs rw,noatime 0 0

You see... /etc/rc.d/mdconfig will perform "mount -d /dev/md0" to see
if there is a mountpoint configured for md0 in /etc/fstab.

If "mount -d /dev/md0" reports that there is no entry for md0, then the
/etc/rc.d/mdconfig script will not mount your device.

Also, as others have mentioned, you can not (currently) arbitrarily have
gaps in the numbering system. You have to start with md0 and then use
md1, md2, ad nauseum. The script /etc/rc.d/mdconfig currently stops at
the first undefined value. So in the case of not setting md0 but only a
single md100, nothing will be done (0 being undefined terminates the
loop).
--
Devin