Requiring list subscriptions (was Re: [Fwd: Gain Organic Traffic: Freebsdish.Org :PS])

John Johnstone jjohnstone at tridentusa.com
Wed Mar 5 02:32:55 UTC 2014

On 3/4/2014 4:13 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear mail list owner,
>
> what are we doing about spam sent to mail list and about spammers? I bet
> some of their e-mail address collectors are too subscribed to this mail
> list. I got immediately into some extra of their databases after posting
> something to this mail list.
>
> Thanks.
> Valeri

I've been subscribed to mailing lists for quite a few years but only to
just a few lists so perhaps my experience overall is quite limited.  The
FreeBSD mailing lists are the only ones I've come across that have the
policy of "anyone can post".  I was stunned to discover that you could
post to the FreeBSD mailing lists without being subscribed.  All other
lists I've encountered have the policy of "only subscribers can post"
with the obvious intent of keeping out spam.  Their thinking is also
"ask here" and "get an answer here".  I'm curious to know what
percentage of mailing lists today allow posting by non-subscribers.

Although I've only been subscribed to this list for about a year I don't
recall ever seeing spam that wouldn't have been stopped by requiring
subscription to post.  Has there ever been any spam to this list that
used a forged subscriber address?

-
John J.