long string using find and "-exec ls -ls" to find part-of filename

parv parv at pair.com
Mon Jun 30 22:55:42 UTC 2014

in message <20140701003013.f068eb05.freebsd at edvax.de>,
wrote Polytropon thusly...

Sorry Polytropon, for I lost Gary's mail.

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:55:34 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     how about whitespace?  ls -lsi appears as two cmds, so would
> >     it work as you  have with backtics?
> >
> >     find ... | xargs -n 1 `ls -lsi`

Do see find(1) manual page ...

  -print0
      This primary always evaluates to true. It prints
      the pathname of the current file to standard
      output, followed by an ASCII NUL character
      (character code 0).

... and xargs(1) one ...

  -0  Change xargs to expect NUL (``\0'') characters as
      separators, instead of spaces and newlines. This is
      expected to be used in concert with the -print0
      function in find(1).

... to form ...

  find ... -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 ...

  - parv