what should uname -v be telling me here?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 27 14:00:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:54:17 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Look at your disk partitioning. Also, make sure that you aren't
> mounting something on top of /boot in your /etc/fstab.

Also verify that you don't have settings in /boot/loader.conf
that force booting a different than the default kernel (for
example due to naming conventions), like the kernel= or the
bootfile= settings. Just in case.

The updating process modifies (rewrites) the default kernel,
but if you're not booting it (due to whatever reason applies),
you won't see the correct version signature.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany