FreeBSD 9.2-p9/FreeBSD 9.3-PRERELEASE zpool import/export problem

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Fri Jun 27 06:08:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 21:28-0400, FF wrote:

> So I'm having a weird problem that just came up when I went from
> freebsd-updated binaries to svn'ing the releng and/or stable source trees.
>
> When I compile and build a kernel (only), I can create a zpool
>
> something like:
>
> zpool create tank ada1
>
> I can use it, list it, create files on it, etc.
>
> I can zpool export it.
>
> It will still show as online an importable.
>
> But when I try to reimport it (no reboot or anything):
>
> root at 1:/root # zpool create -f storage2 ada40
> root at 1:/root # df -kh
> Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ada45s1a    7.9G    6.3G    990M    87%    /
> devfs            1.0k    1.0k      0B   100%    /dev
> storage2         913G     31k    913G     0%    /storage2
> root at 1:/root # zpool export storage2
> root at 1:/root # zpool import
>    pool: storage2
>      id: 10010508457819787577
>   state: ONLINE
>  action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
>  config:
>
>         storage2    ONLINE
>           ada40     ONLINE
>

> root at 1:/root # zpool import storage2
> cannot import 'storage2': pool is formatted using a newer ZFS version
>
> This happens repeatably whether its multi drive or single drive.
>
> root at 1:/root # zfs upgrade
> This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 5.
>
> All filesystems are formatted with the current version.
>

> root at 1:/root # ls -al /sbin/z*
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  96968 Feb 12  2013 /sbin/zfs
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  92472 Feb 12  2013 /sbin/zpool
> root at 1:/root # md5 /sbin/zfs
> MD5 (/sbin/zfs) = 76ddf1a93f9a045466ead1ef465859d0
> root at 1:/root # md5 /sbin/zpool
> MD5 (/sbin/zpool) = 29ec8f28ad5c6023ece4bb4eccb49f1e
>
> There's obviously no data on the system, so reformatting it with
> 9.2-RELEASE should fix it, but I'm trying to run a custom kernel and I'm
> trying to figure out what I've screwed up along the way. Also, zpool import
> -f does not solve it, same error.
>
> Any suggestions/advice on where this may have gone sideways?

It's likely that your zpool created by stable/9 has enabled (and
activated some of) the following features:

feature at multi_vdev_crash_dump
feature at spacemap_histogram
feature at enabled_txg
feature at hole_birth
feature at extensible_dataset
feature at bookmarks
feature at filesystem_limits

They are unsupported by releng/9.2. Sadly, once a feature has been
enabled there's no going back.

Either continue using stable/9, or when creating a zpool you intend
to use on older ZFS systems, try to avoid enabling any features
during pool creation, i.e. zpool create -d ... Afterwards you may
enable the features you know is supported across the board.

Maybe someone else knows a better way.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |