Spam Backscatter?

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Thu Jun 26 18:32:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2014, at 6:36 AM, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
> > Does spam in my outgoing queue mean that I am generating backscatter from
> > failed spam delivery?
>
> Probably.  (Or you're generating it locally, or relaying it....)

I am not an open relay as far as I can tell.  I am not listed on any RBL,
and I have had an email security test, and it confirmed I am not either.  I
don't see any suspicious processes running?  Are there anymore things that
I could check to verify this?

> > If so, how can I filter it.  I currently have 118 messages in my
> outgoing queue.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Reject the spam at submission time, don't accept it and then try to bounce
> it.
>
> Regards,

What configuration changes do you recommend?  I am using sendmail with the
only change to the configuration is the addition of 5 RBL's.

Thanks,
Chris