pkg: Can't install pgAdmin3

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 26 05:59:20 UTC 2014

On 25/06/2014 21:46, Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:22:13 -0700, Patrick wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 8:12, Walter Hurry wrote:
>>> I have switched (mostly) to binary packages. However, I cannot install
>>> databases/pgadmin3 using 'pkg install pgadmin3'.
>>>
>>> The reason is that it tries to install postgresql92-client first, which
>>> fails as I already have postgresql93-client installed.
>>>
>>> Why is pkg unable to use the existing postgresql93-client? pgadmin3
>>> builds and installs quite happily from the port.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I have the same problem with psycopg2.
>>
>> You'll probably have to build your own binaries using Poudriere if
>> you're not going to go with current defaults. Or just make install from
>> the ports tree would be the simpler solution.
>>
> Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have built and installed the binaries from
> ports. But my question remains: What is lacking in the architecture of
> pkg that it cannot cope with this?

If you're installing using binary packages then you have two choices:

  1) Use the packages from the official repository, understanding that
this means installing postgresql-9.2, as that's the default version used
in ports.

  2) Use postgresql-9.3, understanding that this means you will have to
compile your own version of any package that depends on postgresql
client, and you'll need to add the right DEFAULT_VERSIONS setting into
make.conf to do so.

Basically, it all boils down to "does the package contain binaries that
link against libpq.so.5 or to libpq.so.4" (or equivalently any of the
other shlibs in the postgresql client packages) ?  This is a fundamental
limitation and it derives from the way that ELF shared library support
works.  Different ABI versions of shared libraries are not interchangeable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.